During Ramadhan month, we’ve tried Mee Rebus from several stalls. Mee rebus is one of the popular noodles dishes in Malaysia. This mee rebus recipe womes with yellow egg noodles in a rich sweet spicy potato-based gravy and sometimes prawn fritters. Knowing that the preparation time is rather long, Mummy still go ahead with the idea to try and cook from scratch. (She extract the recipe from Her World Cookbook)
- 1kg yellow noodles, scalded (or 1 pkt spaghetti cooked according to instruction)
- 300g bean sprout, cleaned & trimmed
- 6pcs soft beancurd, deep fried & sliced
- 8 hard boiled eggs, halved
- 1 cup crispy fried shallot
- 1 cup daun sup, finely chopped
- 1 cup daun bawang, finely chopped
- 1 cup calamansi (local lime) – halved
- 2 kg chicken ribs
- 8 cups of water for stock
- 1/2 cup cooking Oil
- 8 shallots, 4 cloves garlic – pounded
- 4 tbsp chili boh & 2sq. inches belacan, roasted(mix together both)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. assam jawa or tamarind paste mixed with 1/2 cup water, seeds discarded
- 2 tsp. salt
- 8 tomato, cut into wedges
- 2 liter store-bought tomato juice
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 kg medium-sized fresh prawn, clean and shelled
- 4 potatoes – boiled, drained & mashed
- 2 sweet potato – boiled, drained & mashed
- In a pot, boil the chicken ribs in 8 cups water for at least 2-3 hours until the stock is reduced by half and the meat is soft. Remove the bones, trim off the fat from the meat and set aside the stock.
- Heat oil & fry pounded ingredients till golden. Add cili boh mixture and tamarind paste, cook over medium heat till chili paste is cooked. Add 2 tsp. of salt then pour in chicken stock. Cover and allow to boil for 10 minutes.
- Add tomato wedges and let it boil again for another 10 minutes. Next, pour tomato juice and 2 tsp. salt and stir gently, let gravy simmer for 5 minutes. Add in prawn.
- Finally add in mashed potato and sweet potato to thicken the gravy. Let it simmer for 2 to 3 minutes then check the taste.
Preparation Time : 40 minutes
Cooking Time : 5 hours
Serves : 6-8