On Sunday my mom decided to try this recipe which she got from “Her World Magazine”. Its Roast Chicken with Garlic & Chili. Asian style of roast chicken I suppose. ^^
– 1.8kg whole chicken, cleaned & dried
– 4cm ginger peeled & sliced
– 5 red chili, sliced
– 9 cloves garlic, crushed
– 200g butter softened
– 2 tsp salt
– 1 tsp pepper
– 5 medium sized potatoes
– 3 cloves garlic, crushed
– 1/4 cup vegetable oil
– 2 sprigs rosemary leaves
– salt & pepper to taste
1) Pound/Blend ginger & chilies to a smooth paste. Mix into 120g of the softened butter & crushed garlic. Insert the butter mixture underneath the skin (between the flesh & the skin), being careful not to break the skin surface. Massage the chicken to evenly spread the butter mixture. Truss the chicken with butcher’s string.
2) Place the chicken in a Corelle Light Oblong dish and refrigerate uncovered for 4 hours to dry the skin. This will make the chicken skin crispy when roasted.
3) To prepare the roast potatoes, peel and quarter the potatoes. Place the cut pieces in a bowl of salted water to prevent browning. Mix the crushed garlic in a bowl with vegetable oil, rosemary sprigs and strained potatoes. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
4) When the chicken skin is dry, coat the chicken with the remaining softened butter, salt & pepper. Pour 50ml water into the base of baking dish then put the chicken in a preheated oven (180 degree Celsius) for 30 minutes, constantly basting it.
5) Put the potatoes in to the oven for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown. Remove the potatoes from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to (160 degree Celsius) to continue roasting the chicken for another 20 minutes.
6) Remove from the oven and serve the chicken with roasted potatoes.
For better result:-
– Stuff the chicken with sliced lemon for better taste
– Semi boil the potatoes before roasting them